The only thing we love more than some warm-weather fun is when that fun is fully Instagrammable, and we’re totally proud to admit it!
Getting together with friends and family is something that the last few years delivered us a newfound appreciation for. Now that our social life is getting back into the swing of things, it’s natural we want to capture these magical moments and share them with the world!
We’ve gotten creative with some of our versatile faves to show you all the clever ways they can be used to bring snug textile style to your outdoor set-up, and level up your aesthetic to create the most memorable experience for you and your loved ones.
Before we start, let’s take a moment to discuss some of the benefits of bringing your bedding outdoors!
Why bedding is great for outdoors:
- You already have it! Why buy more things that’ll sit in your trunk all year, when you can instead repurpose what you already have at home? Or if you’re someone who likes to update your bedding often, this is a perfect way to put your old bedding to good use!
- It’s comfortable (and warm) - There’s nothing that can ruin an outing more than not having a comfortable place to sit, or when the temperature drops and you didn’t wear enough layers. Bedding solves all of these problems, and it happens to look good while doing it.
- It’s easy to clean - Unlike some outdoor-specific textiles, bedding is designed for frequent use and frequent washing.
- And finally, it’s just… visually aesthetic! If you’re reading this post you are probably partial to the idea of creating an outdoor look that incorporates your own personal flair. With bedding, you get the range of styles and sizes to create a highly customizable set-up that suits you (and your company).
Outdoor Use No. 1
The Perfect Popup Picnic
As lovers of sustainable fun and sensational food, picnics check all of the boxes. Ordering takeout can be tempting for a lunch with a view, but we aren't a big fan of how much single-use packaging is involved. We also love dining out as much as the next person, but there’s something more intimate (and budget-friendly) about having a picnic with your close knits.
Why not start a new tradition with your loved ones and start organizing your first annual picnic to welcome the warmer weather (fresh air and vitamin D included!).
Bedding to bring:
For our picnic set-up, we used an overlapping assembly of quilts, coverlets and duvet covers for a perfectly imperfect picnic zone. For a party of two, you may only need a single piece of bedding, adding more as required to fit larger groups. Remember to allow for room in the middle - this is where your yummy snacks and drinks will live!
For the best seat out of the house, euro pillows are our pick. Bring one for each guest, or use smaller cushions for any young picnic patron. Either way, decorative cushions add an extra dose of style and comfort to impress your guests (and any passerby!)
Other items to pack:
It’s not a picnic without yummy snacks, drinks, and things to eat and drink them with! Here’s a quick checklist of things to bring along!
- Wooden palettes (we used 2 to fit 6-8 people)
- Table runners (we used 2 throws for ours!)
- Tarps to lay underneath (optional, but may help to protect your bedding, especially on damp days)
- Food - finger food such as bread, crackers, cheese and dips (or a whole charcuterie board while you’re at it - a must for social media!) are perfect for eliminating the need for cutlery and plates
- Drinks - cold summer beverages always go down a treat. For adults, a bottle of bubbly is hard to beat!
- Kitchen items - serving platters, chopping boards, serving utensils, cutlery, glassware, dish towels and napkins. Avoid single-use items if you can!
- Vases and flower arrangements (fresh or dried) if you’re feeling extra fancy
- Your phone of course! How else are you going to capture the day?
Now all you have to do is claim your spot (nearest to the cheese platter, perhaps?) and enjoy!
Outdoor Use No. 2
Hammocks are synonymous with summer relaxation. For those of us who don’t have a dedicated space for a hammock at home, no worries! Finding a park with some trees is a fun activity all on its own.. Make sure you have some rope handy, and the world is your oyster!
It doesn’t take much to create an idyllic summer chill-out spot, just be sure to bring comfy textiles, a good summer read, and of course your favourite snacks and beverages!
Bedding to bring:
Hammocks are made to be personalized! Your favourite throws and cushions can be added for instant Instagram-aesthetic, but what really makes the difference, is the groundwork! Bedding can make the area underneath and surrounding your hammock just as cozy - especially important if you have company!
We recommend adding some extra padding underneath the hammock, just in case you “roll out of bed”!
Other items to pack:
Depending on what you have planned, these are just a few items you might want to add to your hammock hang-out:
- Rope to hang the hammock (be sure to brush up on your knot skills!)
- Scissors (in case you need to cut the rope)
- A good book
- Your favourite beverage of choice (and glassware/cups)
- Snacks - a breadstick and some antipasto or a dip is super simple and delicious
- A hat - the perfect companion for a late afternoon snooze
Swing life away!
Outdoor Use No. 3
Sunny Sleep-in or Starry Sleepover
Now if you’re like us and want to go the extra mile to get that perfect shot for Instagram, don’t be afraid to be a little bit extra!
We repurposed the wooden palettes we used for our picnic tables as a platform for an inflatable mattress and of course - our favourite QE Home products to create the Instagram-ready alfresco bed of your dreams.
Many hands make light work!
With charming floral embroidered details and fresh, white cotton, Kaysa was an easy choice! Matching pillow shams and a decorative boudoir cushion complete the Kaysa look, add a flowery meadow backdrop, and we’re obsessed. Don’t forget euro pillows to give you something to prop yourself up against!
For a more relaxed aesthetic, we can’t get enough of San Luca in all of its palm frond glory. Drape on a throw, add a decorative cushion and some euros, and you’re good to go!
An afternoon slumber in the sun, that's our idea of a good time!
Grab your bedding, fetch your nearest and dearest, and head outside to create your very own Instagrammable looks. Don’t forget to tag us and use the hashtag #myQEstyle for a chance to be featured!